Syracuse Slip & Fall Injury Attorney
Syracuse Slip & Fall Injury Attorney
Slip and fall accidents lead to approximately one million emergency room stays each year. These kinds of accidents are also the primary reason for workers’ compensation claims being filed, as well as the leading cause of job-related injuries for people who are between 15 and 24 years of age. Slip and fall accidents will inflict fairly critical injuries that often result in substantial medical bills, with the overall costs of employee slip and falls rounding out at close to $70 million every single year.
Common Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are all too common, and the reasons they occur are fairly common as well. Many can be avoided with some due diligence being practiced. Listed below are some of the common causes of falls:
- Wet floors, be it that they are freshly mopped or if there is a leak, or water tracked in, can become slippery and cause a person to lose their balance.
- When floorboards are loose and do not receive attention to the necessary repair, they become a hazard for those walking over them.
- The carpet can be a tripping hazard if it is bulging or not installed correctly, so it is too loose.
- Rugs and their mats can slip and move, causing a tripping risk for those that encounter them.
- Spills are a common cause of falls. Liquids and solids can cause a person to trip and fall.
- Cracks and potholes on roads, driveways, uneven sidewalks, walkways, and paths cause a dangerous situation for those using the paths.
- When flooring is uneven, it is a tripping hazard.
- Obstacles like debris, crowded areas, and exposed wiring can be another cause of falls.
- Dimly lit areas can cause people to miss obstacles that they otherwise would not have if they had been able to see.
- Missing or loose stairs cause falls.
- Falls can also be caused by missing handrails or necessary grab bars.
Settings Prone to Slip and Fall Accidents
A person can fall nearly anywhere. Just by going about your normal routine, there are obstacles that we navigate daily. Most of the time, we avoid falling, but there are places where people are more likely to slip and fall and hurt themselves.
Listed below are some of the most common settings in which slip and fall accidents occur:
- Grocery stores often have spills that should be cleaned up promptly in order to avoid becoming a risk for shoppers and employees. However, this does not always happen, and an already slick floor can easily become a danger zone.
- Restaurants are another place you would not expect to sustain an injury, but where falls often happen. Falls can occur because of spills, bumpy carpets, step-downs that are not well-marked, and wet floors.
- Shopping centers have a number of obstacles that shoppers and workers face. These could be wet floors, uneven pavement, obstacles, and the like.
- Parking garages are often fraught with obstacles.
- Apartment buildings, condominiums, and hotels can face the same obstacles discussed above, making them prime places where falls occur.
- Swimming pools, water parks, and amusement parks pose risks of falling.
- Stadiums, amphitheaters, arenas, and coliseums may pose slip-and-fall threats to eventgoers.
- Hospitals and nursing homes are mopped often, leaving floors wet and making those using the facility vulnerable to slipping and falling.
If you are the victim of a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to recover monetary compensation for the injuries you sustained. With Gattuso & Ciotoli, PLLC, in your corner, know that every effort will be made to recover the maximum possible amount of compensatory damages. You should not have to suffer because of the negligence of someone else.
Injuries Sustained in Falls
Bruises, cuts, spinal cord injury, broken bones, traumatic brain injury, and accidental death are only a few of the multitude of possible outcomes from a slip and fall accident. The harm that it does to the body can require expensive medical procedures, render you unable to work, and downgrade your life.
Falls can be life-changing short-term or long-term events. They can cause you to miss work, experience pain and discomfort, require you to have surgeries and procedures, and can end up in lengthy recovery times or in need of extensive rehabilitation.
Resolving a Slip and Fall Claim
In order to successfully resolve a slip and fall claim, the victim must be able to prove that the accident took place at the location in question, that the property owner or employers were negligent or careless in ensuring a safe environment, and that the victim became injured as a result of that negligence.
Contact Gattuso & Ciotoli today to discuss how we can help you gain maximum compensation for the injuries and damages you have experienced. We offer free consultations to review your case and determine how we can help you.