Syracuse Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck drivers have to uphold several responsibilities while operating their heavy-duty vehicles. However, not all truck drivers follow the rules—and if you are in a collision with a negligent driver in Syracuse, you can sustain serious damage.
Gattuso & Ciotoli, PLLC can help you recover the compensation you need to treat your injuries. With millions of dollars recovered for our clients and more than 50 years of combined personal injury experience, you can trust our firm to fight for your right to recovery.
Why Choose Gattuso & Ciotoli?
- Our firm has handled many types of personal injury claims, including truck accidents. Our accident attorneys will apply our experience and knowledge to maximize your case potential.
- Truck accident claims often require expert witness testimony. We have spent years developing relationships with doctors, accident reconstruction specialists, and other experts who can provide insight into your claim.
- These accidents can seriously harm your finances, which is why Gattuso & Ciotoli, PLLC operates on a contingency fee. You do not have to pay legal fees unless we secure a settlement.
New York Truck Accident Statistics
Motor vehicle collisions are common in New York state. According to the New York State Department of Public Health, car accidents kill an average of 292 New Yorkers a year, result in over 100,000 emergency room visits, and cause over 6,000 injuries so serious they require hospitalization.
While these statistics do not detail how many of these accidents involved commercial trucks, we know that these accidents occur at high rates across the country. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) provides the following statistics on 2017 truck accidents in the United States.
- 4,761 people died in collisions involving large trucks.
- Truck accident fatalities increased by 9% from 2016 to 2017.
- New York saw 121 fatalities involving heavy-duty trucks in 2017.
What Rules Do Truck Drivers Have to Follow?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) oversees the regulation of commercial trucks across the country. From cargo loading requirements to driving hour limits and general safe driving practices, these regulations are in place to protect other drivers on the road.
Some rules truck drivers must adhere to include the following.
- Adhering to hours of service rules, which limit the amount of time a driver can operate without taking a break
- Carrying a commercial driver’s license (CDL) and meeting all applicable requirements for the license
- Recording driving hours in the truck’s electronic logging system
- Avoiding drugs and alcohol while on the job
- Following rules for securing cargo, especially if carrying dangerous materials
What Can You Recover from a Truck Accident Claim?
You have the right to recover compensation for any physical, emotional, or financial damage you sustained in the car accident. There are two main types of compensation: economic damages, which involve your financial losses, and non-economic damages, which include your intangible pain and suffering.
Damages truck accident victims often claim include the following.
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Property damage
- Chronic pain
- Permanent disability, disfigurement, or scarring
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life
Injured? Get Help from a Syracuse Truck Accident Attorney
The sheer size and weight of commercial trucks can cause serious damage, especially in collisions with smaller vehicles. If you are suffering from injuries due to a truck accident, Gattuso & Ciotoli, PLLC can help. With over 50 years of combined experience and a track record of successful verdicts, our attorneys have the skills and resources to help you seek justice against negligent truck drivers.
Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation with a Syracuse truck accident lawyer.